Fight News

Monday, November 06, 2006

WBO Heavyweights: BRIGGS SNATCHES SERGEI'S CROWN

Shannon Briggs snatched the WBO heavyweight title in sensational fashion by knocking down champion Sergei Liakhovich with just one second left in their fight at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Going into the final round Briggs was told he needed a knockout to win the fight - the judges' cards later revealed he was trailing by three points on two cards and one on the other - and delivered right at the last.

The 34-year-old produced a left-right combination that sent Liakhovich to the canvas, then smashed the man from Scottsdale with a punishing - and decisive - right as he clambered back to his feet.

After his dramatic victory, Briggs said: "My corner kept telling me that I was losing the fight. They said that if I didn't turn it around, I would lose."

Liakhovich said: "I didn't fight my fight. I gave it away. I took too many shots in the 12th round."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home